Gold plated jewellery gives you the look and style of pure gold jewellery, but without the high price tag. It’s almost impossible to tell real gold from gold plated jewellery just by looking at it, which makes gold plated jewellery an ideal budget-friendly alternative to gold jewellery.
How it all started
Gold Plating is a process in which a thin layer of gold is bonded to another base metal such as silver, stainless steel, copper, nickel and brass. Of these, silver and copper are the most commonly used. The process of gold plating is not new. It dates back to the 18th century, at a time when Luigi Brugnatelli, an Italian chemist, invented this method by applying a thin layer of gold onto a silver article. Since then, gold plating has been widely used to make the golden aesthetic affordable to all.
Our top tips
Good care is key for prolonging the life of your gold plated jewellery. Here are our top tips for keeping your favourite pieces in top-notch condition.
- Keep gold plated jewellery away from chemicals, oils and makeup. Your hands should also be clean before touching and handling them.
- Don’t expose your gold plated jewellery to chlorinated or salty water. Therefore, make sure to take your jewellery off before jumping into the pool or the sea.
- Clean your gold plated jewellery regularly. Check this article for a detailed guide on how you should care for your favourite jewellery pieces.
- Keep your jewellery in a dark, cool, and dry place or store it in a velvet pouch.
- Never use any harsh cleaning agent on gold plated jewellery.
The answer is yes
You’re twisting your ring around your finger, only to realise the first signs of tarnishing. It’s not uncommon for the plating to eventually wear off after a few years, which means the base metal becomes visible. So, what can you do to restore its previous shine?
It’s simple, get in touch with our team and we’ll restore your jewellery just as if it was ours. “We know that each piece of jewellery holds a sentimental place in your heart and therefore by restoring your gold plated jewellery, we feel that we do our part in keeping something of emotional value close to you ” says Danai, co-founder of ReVe Jewel.
All you need to know
Absolutely not. Just like with pure gold, gold plated jewellery comes in different qualities. The base material, the craftsmanship standard, and the thickness of the coating are all important factors to consider when buying gold plated jewellery.
Our gold plated jewellery pieces at Reve Jewel are made by electroplating 18K gold onto durable silver, one of the highest quality ratings available.